Help centre

Below you'll find answers to some of the common questions we get asked about KiwiBuild. These FAQs are intended to be helpful, but they are not a complete discussion and should not be substituted for legal advice.

If you cannot find the answer you are looking for, the KiwiBuild team is available to help 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Common KiwiBuild questions

Anybody can consider buying a KiwiBuild home provided they meet the eligibility criteria.

All currently available KiwiBuild homes can be found on the the available homes page.

Buying off the plan means that you are buying a home off the architectural plans while the home is being built or before construction on a development begins.

It is common practice in new housing developments for some homes to be offered off the plan while they are still under construction. Other homes may instead sell after building has been finished. 

The final sale price of a KiwiBuild home is set by the developer and reflect considerations like like its size, type and location. KiwiBuild also uses price caps that set the maximum price all KiwiBuild homes can be sold for.

No. KiwiBuild homes are not subsidised.

Buying a KiwiBuild home

Some KiwiBuild homes may be sold by a ballot draw when there is a greater number of interested buyers than available homes in a specific development. This is done to ensure that the process is fair, and provides an equal opportunity for all interested buyers in buying a home.

You can enter as many ballot draws as you like, but you are only able to buy one KiwiBuild home. Once you have accepted an opportunity to purchase a home you will automatically be removed from any other ballots you are entered in.

A developer may allow you to enter into a sale and purchase agreement with the condition that you are able to provide evidence of a successful application for eligibility before your agreement goes unconditional. It is recommended you have your eligibility approved before making an offer to buy to help facilitate the sales and purchase process. 

You will need to have your eligibility approved before you can enter into a ballot draw.

A sale and purchase agreement is a mandatory and legally binding written contract between the buyer and seller that sets out all the agreed terms and conditions for the sale and purchase of a home or property.

A property valuation report provides an estimate of the dollar value of the property, taking local market factors into consideration. A bank or lender may require you to provide a report from an accredited property inspector as a condition of a mortgage. 

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM)(external link) is a report prepared by the local council that provides a summary of the current property information held by the council on the day the LIM was produced. Your lawyer or conveyancer can help you request a LIM report if your bank or lender requires you to provide one before details of your mortgage are finalised.

The Deed of Covenant is an agreement that ensure that buyers have committed to living in their new home as their primary place of residence for a minimum period of time before the home can be rented out or sold. This is to help ensure that buyers of KiwiBuild homes intend on living in the homes themselves. The Deed of Covenant needs to be signed and returned to the KiwiBuild Unit prior to settlement of the property.

You may decline to continue with buying a home while your sale and purchase agreement is still conditional. Once your sale and purchase agreement has gone unconditional, you have made a legal commitment to purchase the home and will need to discuss options and penalties of breaking this your agreement with your lawyer and the developer.

A pre-settlement inspection is an opportunity for you to view your new home in the lead up to your final settlement date. This allows you to ensure any conditions in your sale and purchase agreement have been met and you are taking ownership of the property in a satisfactory condition.

You should let your lawyer know immediately and provide the specifics of what your concerns are. They can negotiate on your behalf to ensure that there is a satisfactory outcome for all parties before settlement is finalised.

Finances and support

The deposit amount you will need will depend on the sale price home you want to buy and your arrangement with your bank or lender.

You will need to meet with a bank, mortgage broker, or other lender to discuss your individual circumstances and receive guidance on how much you may be able to borrow to purchase a home.

Having financial pre-approval means that you have met with a bank, mortgage broker or other lender, and they have determined the maximum amount you may be able to borrow as part of a mortgage, provided your financial circumstances do not change.

If you are a first home buyer and have been a contributing member of a KiwiSaver fund for at least three years, you may be able to withdraw part or all of your savings(external link) to put toward buying a KiwiBuild home.

First Home Loans(external link) are issued by select banks and other lenders, and underwritten by Kāinga Ora to assist first home buyers that may be able to service a mortgage but do not have the finances up front to provide a full deposit.

Ownership and maintenance

Yes, you can sell your KiwiBuild home provided you have lived there as your primary place of residence for the minimum period of time agreed to in the Deed of Covenant. This will be one to three years depending on the home you’ve purchased.

Yes, you can rent out your KiwiBuild home to tenants or borders provided you are still living in the home as your primary place of residence. After you lived in your KiwiBuild home for the minimum period of time agreed to in the Deed of Covenant, you may rent out your home without conditions. 

The chattels and furnishings that come with a home will be different for each development. Any special inclusions or conditions should be discussed with the developer and included in your sale and purchase agreement.

You are responsible for the general maintenance and upkeep of your home. If you have discovered a fault in your build, you will need to contact the developer you purchased the home from to discuss your options.

Developers and builders

If you have a residential development or construction project you would like to be considered for KiwiBuild, you can submit an application through the Buying off the Plans ITP(external link) or get in touch with the KiwiBuild Buying off the Plans team at

Can't find what you're looking for? 

The Kāinga Ora team is available 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Phone: 0508 935 266

Page updated: 19 July 2022